Saturday 28 April 2007

The Tower by Gregg Andrew Hurwitz

Hurwitz is the author of The Kill Clause & The Program, two books which feature U.S. Marshall Tim Rackly. I really enjoyed these two books and when I went to the library last weekend I found this book, which is Mr. Hurwitz's first book.

The title of the book refers to a prison facility off the coast of San Fransisco which houses only the most deranged and dangerous criminals. Once you are admitted to The Tower, you will never again see the light of day because it is designed to be 100% escape proof and you are placed there without hope of parole. Well I suppose that's true only if you are not Allander Atlasia. Atlasia, a victim of a horrible sexual attack and a psychokiller, escapes from The Tower is a most excellent fashion and makes his way to the mainland where he begins another killing spree. His creep factor is way high, and he reminds me of Michael Myers from the Halloween series.

Jade Marlow, or should I say the biggest badass in all the land, is an ex FBI agent called in find Atlasia. Marlow has no patience or care for the victims and each one is only stacking up to prove that he's not adequate to find the deranged killer. He's brilliant and fearless and dealing with his own inner demons as the story progesses.

I love serial killer type books and this one stacks up as a great one. Hurwitz might be a little rough around the edges given that this is his first book, but if you like a page turner and don't mind a little blood and guts, this is a good one. 4 stars from me.

No comments: